Sunday, September 1, 2013

Aussie Curves: Vulnerable Side



Midriff! So, here we are returning to 90s fashions. How awesome is this! Mainly because in the nineties I thought I was too fat for crop tops and short skirts and now I don't care and I'm so effing proud of my body. 

This crop has made it's way around body positive circles, because it's well...amazing. I first saw it on Instagram and hunted it down at Gisela Ramirez, but it had sold out! I kept checking back and one day it was available, so I quickly bought it. When it arrived in the mail, I received an apology from Gisela saying that the one in the package was the last one, and it was technically "secondhand" because it was worn by the model. She also fully refunded me the money, so basically I got this top FOR FREE! Yay!

When I first wore this out, I was TERRIFIED. I was headed to TGIF for drinks with friends and I literally sat in the car for 10 minutes, building up the courage to get out of the car. I even considered driving home to change! 

But do you know what? With each step to the bar, I felt more and more badass! It was a defining moment for me - a true moment of empowerment. All this body positive "talk" was put into action and it felt totally liberating. If people were looking or staring, they hid it well, because I didn't feel any disapproving stares. I think if it was just a plain crop top, people might think, "She shouldn't be wearing that", but the words "F*ck Flattering" are perfect in communicating the message that I very deliberately chose this top because I'm challenging a beauty standard. And people like that! 

There's also been some interesting discourse around the word "flattering". When you try something on in the shops and the shop assistant says to you, "That's so flattering on you!" you know what she really means is, "That makes you look thinner". That kind of talk really works against the fat-positive/body-acceptance movements, because the implication is that fat bodies are shameful and need to be hidden. That word is no longer a part of my vocabulary.

So here's me with my soft, pudgy midriff, just begging to be poked and squeezed! Lovely!



crop top: GISELA RAMIREZ
skirt: ASOS CURVE
watch: LOVISA
lippy: INGLOT

Thanks for reading! x

Follow on Bloglovin 

No comments:

Post a Comment