Thursday, June 13, 2013

Have You Found Your Style?

As plus size women, do we really have the luxury of finding our style? Or is it already chosen for us in the somewhat limited options available?

Over the past few years, I've really felt like I've had plenty of choices in regards to clothes. I check out ASOS and City Chic regularly and always find more that I can afford. My saved folder on ASOS is always plentiful and I spend much more money on clothes than I really should. I adore my wardrobe and I love piecing together outfits.

After I had my nails done yesterday, I did something I rarely do these days: I wandered into a few mainstream retail clothing stores. There was nothing to fit me in these stores and I found it painfully triggering. It made me feel like something was wrong with me. In my mind, the shop assistants were giving me "slimming glances" and wondering what I was doing in there. I perused the racks, feeling bitter disappointment to be reminded of how easy it is for women to find clothes in smaller sizes. There are items of clothing on my wishlist that just aren't available in plus sizes. For example, I've been after a tailored cream wool coat this winter. I can't find one in my size. I would love a houndstooth trench. I can't find one in my size.

I know I should be grateful that the plus size fashion industry has come a long way, but I have to admit that sometimes I still feel that unless you are into peplums, skater dresses and blazers - well, good luck to you. I love a pencil skirt with a peplum as much as the next gal, but I've always been a bit weird and quirky in my tastes and sometimes I struggle with options. I would probably define my favourite look as boho. Try finding these outfits in plus sizes!





                                                                            (Source)


I've actually bought a few similar pieces from ASOS standard sizes (size 18) but ASOS Curve are a bit more limited. I haven't had much luck with other plus size brands either.

I'm really looking forward to the day when plus size brands give us more options so that we can fine tune our styles a little more. Because I can tell you what - I've got enough peplums and blazers to last a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment