Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Lace Collars

When I was a little girl, my mother loved dressing me. I have a lot of memories of her pushing me into changing rooms at boutiques and throwing outfits over the door. I hated it! One of my primary school teachers told me, "You're always so beautifully dressed!" but I really didn't appreciate it and I always felt a little different to the other kids in my quirky secondhand "other era" threads.

I have to chuckle over that now. It's funny how things come full circle. Now she's the one telling me to stop shopping! and asking how many dresses do you have now, exactly?

Here's a photo of me when I was little wearing one of her "weird" outfits at a wedding. I hated this dress, by the way! 






Now fast forward twenty years to this.





Dress: Etsy
Shoes: ASOS
Headband: Diva
Lipstick: Lime Crime


How amazing are these lace collars?

There's a bit of a sad story to this dress. I found it on Etsy. But it was a little too long for my liking so I took it to a tailor. When I got home with the dress, I was devastated. It's far too short and the hem is crooked. Because it's so short now, I can't even fix the crooked hem. I've since learned how to hem my own dresses (you can see how here) but alas, this dress is a casualty. I just can't love it in the same way. But I still try to wear it sometimes, mainly with tights. I included that last photo because I don't usually expose my legs without a spray tan, and I'm trying to relax about that. 

By the way, have you read this month's Cleo? It seems to have come just in the nick of time considering my rant about Cosmo in the previous blog. Read Fashion Haley's blog about it here. It's definitely an encouraging read! That aside, it's actually a huge deal and is a major moment in history for us plus size girls!  

No comments:

Post a Comment