Tuesday, November 27, 2012

No Diet Talk


 
"The way I see it, 99.9999999% of the world around me is a space where diet talk is not only normal but an insidious disease festering inside the relationships between women folk that masquerades as bonding."- Natalie Perkins

Yes, yes, yes! I love it when you read something like this and suddenly a light bulb goes on in your brain because someone was able to articulate a feeling you've always had but never been able to put into words. While I don't think that all of my "diet talk" has been an "insidious disease", it has been clear to me at times that a lot of diet talk that happens with certain friends and in the staff room has other hidden motives. It's either just plain smug (women love to show off their self-control) or it's to normalise our body dissatisfaction with each other. I've also noticed that when we are seen to be eating something "naughty" we feel the need to justify our choices; "I'm going to the gym tonight"; "Today is treat day"; "I have PMS"; "I'm having a bad day". Why is it that when I line up at McDonalds, I feel the need to turn around to the other people in the line and say, "I don't eat here often! Really!" as though my body is their business.

Aside from all of that, diet talk is boring as shit. Actually no, it's not boring as shit. It's more boring than shit. 'Cause poo is always funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment